Position and Consensus Statements and APRN Publications
As the professional voice of neonatal nursing, the National Association of Neonatal Nurses is looked to as a resource on substantive issues that affect neonatal patients, their families, and the neonatal nurses and APRNs who care for them. Each statement discusses the background and significance of the topic and offers succinct recommendations and conclusions, along with references from the scholarly literature. Each statement is carefully reviewed and updated at established intervals. NANN offers additional content relevant to advanced practice registered nurses, such as white papers and standards.
Look for new position statements from NANN this year on Medication Safety, Vaccine Hesitancy, RN Staffing, and more.
Position and Consensus Statements
In this consensus statement, the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN), the National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN), and the National Perinatal Association (NPA) recognize the unique challenges facing healthcare providers in reducing the risks of COVID-19 transmission while encouraging parent presence and engagement in care. AWHONN, NPA, and NANN believe that NICU parents are "essential caregivers." Download the Essential Care in the NICU during the COVID-19 Pandemic infographic.
In its most recent position statement, the National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN) recommends women abstain from marijuana consumption during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. NANN lists 14 recommendations for providers when addressing maternal marijuana use and the potential negative impact on neonates and infants. Download the Marijuana, Breastfeeding, and the Use of Human Milk infographic.
The National Association of Neonatal Nurses Board of Directors reviews the statistics concerning racially-related health disparities for premature infants and includes nine recommendations for how to endorse healthcare equality for all infants in the NICU regardless of race, parental economic or educational status, or geographic area. Download the Racial Disparity in the NICU infographic.
In conjunction with the National Perinatal Association, the National Association of Neonatal Nurses review and discuss the most current literature findings and recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the World Health Organization regarding mother/newborn infant postpartum care in the hospital if a mother is COVID-19+. Download our Mothers with COVID-19 and Their Newborn Infants infographic.
- Quality Metrics (reaffirmed 2021)
- NICU Nurse Involvement in Ethical Decisions (Treatment of Critically Ill Newborns) (2016)
- The Effect of Staff Nurses' Shift Length and Fatigue on Patient Safety and Nurse's Health (2015)
- The Impact of Advanced Practice Nurses' Shift Length and Fatigue on Patient Safety (2015)
- The Use of Human Milk and Breastfeeding in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (2015)
- Standard for Maintaining the Competence of Neonatal Nurse Practitioners (2015)
- Palliative and End-of-Life Care for Newborns and Infants (2015)
- RN Staffing in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (2014)
- Medication Safety in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (2014)
- Prevention of Acute Bilirubin Encephalopathy and Kernicterus in Newborns (2010, In Revision)
As the professional voice of neonatal nursing, NANN and its advanced practice registered nurses division, the National Association of Neonatal Nurse Practitioners, are looked to as a resource on substantive issues that affect neonatal patients, their families, and the neonatal nurses, neonatal nurse practitioners, and neonatal clinical nurse specialists who care for them. The publications below are specific to the unique needs of neonatal advanced practice registered nurses.
- Coming soon: 2020 NNP Workforce Survey Executive Summary and more!
- 2016 Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Workforce Survey Executive Summary (2017)
- NNP Workforce Survey Paper (2018)
- NNP Workforce Survey Paper (2013)
NNP Education Standards
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP): Entry Into Practice (2018)
- NNP Education and Curriculum Guidelines for Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Programs (2018)
Professional Documents for Neonatal APRNs
- Quality Metrics (reaffirmed 2021)
- Neonatal Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition: A Resource Guide for the Student and Novice Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (2020)
- Should I Stay, or Should I Go? Retaining Expert-Level Senior NNP Workforce at the Bedside: NANNP-Recommended Solutions and Guidelines (2018)
- The Impact of Advanced Practice Nurses’ Shift Length and Fatigue on Patient Safety (2015) - under review for update
- Standard for Maintaining the Competence of Neonatal Nurse Practitioners (2015) - under review for update
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse: Role, Preparation, and Scope of Practice (2014) - under review for update
- The Future of Neonatal Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Practice (2014) - under review for update
Clinical Practice Guidelines
- The Management of Hypotension in the Very-Low-Birth-Weight Infant: Guideline for Practice (2011) (Retired, November 2020)