Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
As we all learn more about and manage the impact of the global outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), NANN will provide updated information and resources, may need to postpone planned events, and certain customer services may be delayed. The situation is evolving and we will update this page regularly as new information becomes available.
COVID-19 resources for health care providers:
American Academy of Pediatrics
- COVID-19 updates
- AAP recommendations for the Neonatal Resuscitation Program: AAP recommendations about extending or providing grace periods of NRP Provider and Instructor cards
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
American Nurses Association
- COVID Vaccine Facts for Nurses
- COVID-19 updates
- Crisis Standard of Care: COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID-19 Legislative, Regulatory, and Advocacy Update
American Pharmacists Association
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- COVID-19 updates
- COVID-19 Vaccine Communication and Confidence Checklist
- COVID-19 Vaccination Communication Toolkit
- How to Build Healthcare Personnel's Confidence in COVID-19 Vaccines
- Information for Healthcare Professionals
- The COVID-19 Vaccine Confidence Conversation Starter
- Vaccinate with Confidence - CDC's Strategy to Reinforce Confidence in COVID-19 Vaccines
- Vaccination Considerations for People who are Pregnant or Breastfeeding
COVID-19 Vaccine Education and Equity Project
Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care
March of Dimes
National Perinatal Association
- COVID-19 updates
- Bonding With Your Baby During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Caregivers Need Care Too During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Helping Children and Families Cope With Having a Baby in the NICU During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- NPA and NICU Parent Network: Coping with COVID-19 Educational Program
World Health Organization
NANN COVID-19 Vaccination Position Statement
Regarding COVID-19 vaccination, the National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN) recommends that nurses get vaccinated; that nurses keep abreast of the most updated information regarding vaccination; that nurses convey accurate information about the vaccines; and that nurses develop strategies to reinforce confidence in vaccination. Download the COVID-19 Vaccination Infographic.
Joint Consensus Statement - Parents Are Essential Caregivers Too
In this consensus statement, the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN), the National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN), and the National Perinatal Association (NPA) recognize the unique challenges facing healthcare providers in reducing the risks of COVID-19 transmission while encouraging parent presence and engagement in care. AWHONN, NPA, and NANN believe that NICU parents are "essential caregivers." Download the Essential Care in the NICU during the COVID-19 Pandemic infographic.
COVID-19 Joint Position Statement
In conjunction with the National Perinatal Association, the National Association of Neonatal Nurses review and discuss the most current literature findings and recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the World Health Organization regarding mother/newborn infant postpartum care in the hospital if a mother is COVID-19+. Download our Mothers with COVID-19 and Their Newborn Infants infographic.
NANN Webinar - Coronavirus Disease 2019: The Neonate, Risk for Vertical Transmission and Perinatal/ Neonatal Management Strategies
In this webinar, Desi Newberry, DNP, NNP-BC, Clinical Assistant Professor, East Carolina University College of Nursing, and Neonatal Nurse Practitioner, WakeMed Raleigh, will discuss the Coronavirus pandemic in terms of modes of transmission, symptomology and epidemiology. She will also guide the learner through neonatal clinical manifestations, laboratory and radiologic findings for COVID-19 as described by the Chinese expert consensus and identify perinatal and neonatal management strategies for persons under investigation (PUI) as outlined by the Chinese expert consensus and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
This webinar is free to all and offers 1 hour of CE. Click here for more details on the webinar.
NANNcast - COVID-19 in the NICU: Impact on Shared Decision Making
In this NANNcast episode, Jill Beck and Tiffany Moore, PhD RN, expand on NANN and NPA's COVID-19 joint position statement regarding the unique challenge of creating a culture of shared decision making between the mother and clinical team during the COVID-19 pandemic. Tiffany, whose research focuses on reducing chronic stress in mom and baby, will guide listeners through how to best support parents and babies during these stressful times. Find the episode on Apple Podcasts or your preferred podcast platform.
NANNcast - Parental Uncertainty in the Time of COVID-19
The NICU can be a scary place for any parent, and the COVID-19 pandemic is bringing new levels of uncertainty when it comes to having an infant in the NICU. NANNcast host Jill Beck is joined by Dr. Katie Malin, a neonatal nurse practitioner at Children's Wisconsin. Jill and Katie discuss how nurses can help identify and support parents experiencing uncertainty surrounding their ill infant, especially during the coronavirus pandemic. To stream to the podcast, listen to it on Apple Podcasts or tune in on your favorite podcast platform.
Potential changes to NANN customer experience due to COVID-19:
- Product purchases from the NANN store. NANN's online store is still open and processing purchases. However, in order to ensure the safety of NANN staff, customers may notice a temporary increase in shipping times of physical products. Digital purchases will process as usual and appear in My Classroom when logged into your NANN account.
- NANN membership invoices. Please note, until it is deemed safe for staff to return to the office, all NANN membership invoices will be sent digitally. Please be sure to check your email for these renewal notifications to ensure you renew on time and stay connected to our community, especially during these challenging times. You may renew by selecting Pay Open Balances when logged into your NANN account.
NANN Response to COVID-19 Pandemic
The National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN) is committed to keeping you informed about our actions in response to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic and global emergency.
We will provide updates via our Coronavirus webpage, social media channels, and email communications. We support and encourage advocacy for increasing protective personal equipment and other resources needed for the safety and wellness of healthcare providers on the front lines.
In addition, NANN is doing all we can to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect our employees and their families. Our staff is working remotely in accordance with the CDC's guidelines for social distancing. We will maintain operations and are committed to supporting our members, customers, and the communities and patients you serve.
Your compassion, heart, and expertise have never been needed more. This is your time to shine. We support you, we thank you, and we encourage you to lean into your NANN community on social media and the MyNANN community forum to connect, support, and learn from each other. Should you require specific assistance from NANN, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.