Your Neonatal & Nursing Advocates
Through the leadership of NANN's Health Policy and Advocacy Committee, NANN seeks to optimize care and health outcomes for neonates and their families. NANN also impacts nursing practice regulation and policy by fostering member engagement and collaboration with other healthcare-related groups to shape legislative and regulatory issues at the federal and state levels.
NANN's Advocacy Agenda
In 2018 NANN is monitoring and supporting these legislative issues:
- The future of the Affordable Healthcare Act
- National Nurse Act of 2017
- Title VIII
- Home Health Advocate Bill
- Family First Services and Prevention Act
- Child Protection and Family First Act
- APRN Scope of Practice
If there are additional federal or state-level legislation you feel should be addressed, please contact Joe Lindahl, Senior Operations Manager, at email@example.com.
Join the MyNANN Advocacy Community to share information and insights with like-minded members.
Participate and be heard! Contact your elected officials and advocate for neonates, their parents, and our profession.
Julie Sundermeier, DNP APRN NNP-BC, Chair
Stephanie Blake, MSN RN NNP-BC, Chair-Elect
Tara Boice, MSN RNC-NIC
Michelle Cherry, MSN RN
Claudia Decker, BSN RN-NIC-III
Tommie Farrell, BSN RNC-NIC, Board Liaison
Allyson Kayton, MSN APRN NNP-BC
Vicki Leamy, DNP NNP-BC
Elizabeth Welch-Carre, EdD(c) MS APRN NNP-BC, NANNP Council Liaison
To serve on the Health Policy and Advocacy Committee respond to NANN's Annual Call for Volunteers each spring. NANN has plenty of opportunities for those interested in joining committees.
Nurse in Washington Internship
Attend the Nurse in Washington Internship to jump start your advocacy education. NANN partners with the Nursing Organizations Alliance and sponsors two NANN members to attend this annual 3-day internship program in Washington, DC. Look for the applications announcement in the fall for the March event.
Internship objectives include:
- Describe how nurses can be involved and influence policy at the local and national level.
- Discuss how to work effectively with legislative staff to advance policy agendas.
- Describe key steps to effect change in the legislative process.
- Identify techniques to advance legislative issues at the grassroots level.
- Identify legislative, political, and economic forces driving health care policy and delivery changes today.
- Learn to schedule Capitol Hill meetings.
NANN provides legislative and advocacy tools to assist members with education and participation in the policy arena. At times, NANN also partners with other organizations to provide NANN members with the most current and relevant information.
- Federal Health Policy & Advocacy Toolkit (introduction)
- State Health Policy & Advocacy Toolkit
- Legislative Advocacy 101
Partners and Alliances
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Committee on Fetus and Newborn
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP)
- National Perinatal Association
- The Nursing Community