Your Neonatal & Nursing Advocates
Through the leadership of NANN's Health Policy and Advocacy Committee, NANN seeks to optimize care and health outcomes for neonates and their families. NANN also impacts nursing practice regulation and policy by fostering member engagement and collaboration with other healthcare-related groups to shape legislative and regulatory issues at the federal and state levels.
NANN's Advocacy Agenda
NANN's 2020 Advocacy Agenda is addressing:
- Disparities in the NICU
- Paid Family and Medical Leave
- Breast Milk and Nutrition
- Nursing Workforce Development
NANN's complete 2020 Advocacy Agenda can be downloaded here.
Join the MyNANN Advocacy Community to share information and insights with like-minded members.
Nurse in Washington Internship
Attend the Nurse in Washington Internship to jump start your advocacy education. NANN partners with the Nursing Organizations Alliance and sponsors two NANN members to attend this annual 3-day internship program in Washington, DC. Look for the applications announcement in the fall for the March event.
Internship objectives include:
- Describe how nurses can be involved and influence policy at the local and national level.
- Discuss how to work effectively with legislative staff to advance policy agendas.
- Describe key steps to effect change in the legislative process.
- Identify techniques to advance legislative issues at the grassroots level.
- Identify legislative, political, and economic forces driving health care policy and delivery changes today.
- Learn to schedule Capitol Hill meetings.
NANN provides legislative and advocacy tools to assist members with education and participation in the policy arena. At times, NANN also partners with other organizations to provide NANN members with the most current and relevant information.
- Federal Health Policy & Advocacy Toolkit (introduction)
- State Health Policy & Advocacy Toolkit
- Legislative Advocacy 101
Partners and Alliances
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Committee on Fetus and Newborn
- National Coalition for Infant Health
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP)
- National Perinatal Association
- The Nursing Community Coalition
- 1,000 Days