Your Neonatal & Nursing Advocates
Through the leadership of NANN's Health Policy and Advocacy Committee, NANN seeks to optimize care and health outcomes for neonates and their families. NANN also impacts nursing practice regulation and policy by fostering member engagement and collaboration with other healthcare-related groups to shape legislative and regulatory issues at the federal and state levels.
NANN's Advocacy Agenda
NANN is dedicated to advocating at the local, state, and federal level for optimized care and positive outcomes for neonates and their families, and for the nurses who care for them. Advocacy priorities include:
- Disparities Within Neonatal Care
- COVID-19 Impact on Patients and Nurses
- Mental Health of NICU Families and Nurses
- Nursing Workforce Development
- Paid Family Leave
- Nutrition and Breastfeeding
NANN's complete advocacy agenda can be downloaded here.
Join the MyNANN Advocacy Community to share information and insights with like-minded members.
2022 Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) Scholarship
The 2022 application period is now closed.
The Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) is an intense learning experience for nurses interested in becoming more involved in the legislative and regulatory aspects of healthcare. The 2022 NIWI program will take place from March 21 - 23 in Washington, D.C.
The 3-day program aims to:
- Describe how nurses can be involved and influence policy at the local and national level.
- Discuss how to work effectively with legislative staff to advance policy agendas.
- Describe key steps to effect change in the legislative process.
- Identify techniques to advance legislative issues at the grassroots level.
- Identify legislative, political, and economic forces driving health care policy and delivery changes today.
- Learn to schedule Capitol Hill meetings.
NANN will be awarding one scholarship that includes registration, airfare, lodging, and meals. A letter of recommendation is required to submit an application.
NANN provides legislative and advocacy tools to assist members with education and participation in the policy arena. At times, NANN also partners with other organizations to provide NANN members with the most current and relevant information.
- Federal Health Policy & Advocacy Toolkit (introduction)
- State Health Policy & Advocacy Toolkit
- Legislative Advocacy 101
Partners and Alliances
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Committee on Fetus and Newborn
- National Coalition for Infant Health
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP)
- National Perinatal Association
- The Nursing Community Coalition
- 1,000 Days