The Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) is an intense learning experience for nurses interested in becoming more involved in the legislative and regulatory aspects of healthcare. The 2017 NIWI program will take place March 11-13 in Washington, DC. NANN is offering two (2) scholarships for nurses to attend the program. Deadline to apply is January 5th, 2018.
The 3-day program aims to:
- Describe how nurses can be involved and influence policy at the local and national level.
- Discuss how to work effectively with legislative staff to advance policy agendas.
- Describe key steps to effect change in the legislative process.
- Identify techniques to advance legislative issues at the grassroots level.
- Identify legislative, political, and economic forces driving healthcare policy and delivery changes today.
- Learn to schedule Capitol Hill meetings.
The Nursing Organization Alliance has more information about the NIWI program and its objectives. Applications for the NANN scholarship are due January 2, 2017.